Do mutations inventory_add and inventory_subtract work?

We had an inventory counting problem that was reported to customer support. After conferring with engineering, they responded that “Our Tech Team advised us always to use both endeavour web and mobile” for inventory changes.

@tomasw, can you confirm whether inventory_add and inventory_subtract are production ready? If not, can you explain why we would receive such a message?

Hi @david
I apologize for the confusion, inventory_add and inventory_subtract should be working as expected on production.

As for that inventory counting problem, it was because of that last order (order number #112-5799500-1816207) being shipped from the web dashboard.
We don’t recommend using Web Dashboard for shipping orders. Instead, we always recommend shipping through Endeavour Web or Mobile.
The button for shipping the order on Web Dashboard will eventually be deprecated, but it remains there because we still have some customers that use them due to some edge cases.
This button, for example, will allow you to ship even though you have no available inventory and the order is on hold, but again, we don’t recommend using this button that remains available for some edge cases.
You can still change inventory from Dashboard or Endeavour or Public API and there should be no problems.

Let me know if that doesn’t help answer the question David, or there is anything else I can help you with.
I apologize for the confusion once again and appreciate your patience,
Tom

Hi @tomasw,

Thank you for the explanation. I very much appreciate you taking the time to do the research and provide an explanation.

So, basically, web dashboard == anything goes, so use with extreme caution as you may put things in a wonky and unpredictable state. We can work with that!

-David

Absolutely @david I appreciate your understanding on this, and glad it helped.

So, basically, web dashboard == anything goes, so use with extreme caution as you may put things in a wonky and unpredictable state.

Yes, for shipping, which is this button:

All the other buttons such as Re-Ship, Clear Order Locks, Set As Fulfilled, Reprocess, Drop Ship, etc should be working as expected

Thanks again!
Tom