Query what is currently in totes

Hello!

We would like to be able to start cycle counting, but in order to do that, we need to be able to know not only what products are in a bin, but also what has been picked and is currently sitting in a tote. Would it be possible to have a query that shows the totes and the current contents of those totes? Being able to query by tote name, tote barcode, product sku or product barcode would be great as well.

Thank you,
Jeremy

Hi @jeremyw!
I apologize for the delayed response about this, somehow I missed the post.
I just submitted a Feature Request for this to be considered by our engineering team.
Thanks for the patience and I will let you know as soon as I get a response back from them!
Tom

1 Like

Hi @jeremyw!
I just wanted to let you know that this request has been approved and will be built.
However, there is no current ETA for it, and I won’t expect this to be built soon because of the Peak Season coming up.
I will keep you updated on the progress or if I’m able to get a better ETA.
Thanks again for the patience!
Tom

1 Like

Woohoo! Thanks, @tomasw!

1 Like

Blast from the past time, @tomasw ! :grin: Has there been any update on this? In addition to the cycle counting, we have other queries or reports that could be made more powerful if the contents of the tote were available.

Hi @jeremyw !
I apologize for the delayed response about this. Unfortunately we still don’t have an ETA yet about this. I will ask our engineers and see if this is something that we could get an ETA
Thanks again for the patience!
Tom

1 Like

Does this mean you can’t cycle count any products which are picked but not yet dispatched?

Hi @jeremyw!
Good news, the tote Pick should now be available at an order level, this is:

query {
  order(id: "198923233") {
    request_id
    complexity
    data {
      line_items(first: 5) {
        edges {
          node {
            id
            tote_picks {
              created_at
              updated_at
              tote_id
              current
              picked_quantity
              quantity
              inventory_bin
              location_id
            }
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

This should tell you if the line item is currently inside a Tote (current:1)
Thanks again for the patience while we implemented this!

Hi @fergusmacdonald! Welcome to the community and apologize for the delayed response. That is correct, items that are currently on totes should not be available for cycle count.

Thanks again!
Tom

Hi @tomasw ,

I’ve been mulling over this since you posted it the other week. I appreciate the work you and the team put into this, but I have to admit that I’m not sure how I could use this with regards to my original request without having to do HUGE data pulls to get what I’d be looking for.

> Would it be possible to have a query that shows the totes and the current contents of those totes? Being able to query by tote name, tote barcode, product sku or product barcode would be great as well.

What I was originally looking for was a way to be able to either return the contents of all totes, or supply a tote name (not an internal tote ID, because we have no way of knowing what that is) or barcode, and to be able to return what items are currently in that tote. On the flip side, we also wanted to be able to supply a SKU, even if it’s through a separate query, and have it return the tote names or barcodes (again, internal tote ID isn’t helpful for those in the warehouse that need it) that the SKU is currently in.

From what I can tell, in order to accomplish this using the solution that has been supplied, I’d have to:

1. Manually determine the date of the oldest open order, and supply that as the “order_date_from” in the “orders” query in order to get the internal order ID and the current order status. Key note here: I’d have to pull every order from that date range because the orders query does not have a filter for order status. This is potentially thousands of orders.
  2. Once I have those orders and their statuses and their internal IDs, I’d then have to query, one by one, each order, and pull all orderlines down through the tote_picks section.
  3. Then I’d have to go through each order searching for either the specified SKU, or use it to build a table of all the currently occupied totes and their contents.
  4. Once I have all of the current tote information, then I’d have to run each one against the tote_history query and try to figure out how to use the sort function (I still haven’t quite figured out how that works for ShipHero because it seems to be different from other platforms) to give me the most recent record so I can get the tote name.

While this is something that could be done, it uses a lot of credits and will take a lot of time because it will get throttled like crazy trying to get there. I made the request because I thought it would be useful for others to be able to do a tote search as well.

I’m sorry your team went through the work to put this together. Maybe my original request wasn’t terribly clear. Either way, unfortunately, the work that was put into this isn’t going to be terribly helpful for what we need.

Regards,
Jeremy

2 Likes