Send more than one label in shipping webhook api

Hi,
We are making our shipments through the api webhook. Right now in the response the url to the label is sent in the “label” field. We have a usecase where we want to send two different labels upon shipment creation, is there a way to send more than one label to shiphero and print them both?

Thanks

Hello @Ahmed!

Could you explain this use case to me? I’d like to understand exactly why and what you need,

WHat is this second label before? Does it belong to the same package as the first? Any information you can provide will be great.

Kind regards,
TomasFD

Actually need two fields, one for label and one for invoice basically. Right now label one works fine but we are asking how to send invoice url in the response so we print that as well?

@tomasfd Any update on this? we are blocked on all international shipments due to this.

Hello @Ahmed!

Do you mean customs documentation?

Please try the customs_info field in your response. This field also accepts links as the label for pdfs and they should show up in the UI.

Kind regards,
TomasFD

@tomasfd thanks for the response. this helped.
Is there a way we can also re-print customs_info? When we reprint, it doesn’t print that today.
Due to legal requirements, we need 3 copies of airway bill & customs info.

Hello @Ahmed!

Could you share with me a recent order that had customs_info?

Have a great day!
TomasFD

Here is an order
https://app.shiphero.com/dashboard/orders/details/275483248

You can look at any international order (outside of Pakistan) shipped by ShipHero

Thanks

Hello @Ahmed!

From inside the order, you can see it. There is a link called document 1 in the shipment panel.

Let me sync with my team though, and see if we find a workaround.

Have a great day!
TomasFD

Hello @Ahmed!

Could you try sending a multipage PDF, so it gets printed 3 times on your first attempt? That would be the best way to do it with the way it works today.

Kind regards,
TomasFD

Hello @tomasfd,

IIUC, by multipage PDF you mean, we stitch the PDF together ourselves, and then upload it?

On this note, have you come across how to merge/replicate octet streams? We have been trying but it doesn’t resolve correctly.

Hey @Ahmed,

Thanks for reaching out!
Yes, that is what Tomas meant. Unfortunately, we’re not familiar with octet streams and how to merge or replicate them.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

Best,
RayanP

Thanks, @sh-agent. We will try stitching PDFs together

@sh-agent another question.

When using a shipping API, what is the retry logic from ShipHero side. I see that sometimes we get multiple requests. Is that something expected? Sometimes it also add multiple tracking IDs against the same item during fulfillment on Shopify.

Hey @Ahmed,

Just wanted to let you know I’m still looking into this. I want to make sure the the generate label webhook behaves the same way as the other webhooks. According to our documentation: " The timeout for this response to get back is 5 seconds with 5 retries per trigger".

Thanks for your patience in this matter, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

Best,
RayanP

Hello @sh-agent,

As we will be stitching PDFs together, our 50th percentile response would be > 5 seconds. But the API would respond. In that case what would happen?
Does the client (ShipHero) cancel the original request before retrying on the same trigger? So it doesn’t process the response?

Also how do we extend this time? I would want to set it to 20 seconds or so

Hey @Ahmed,

Wanted to let you know we’re still investigating the retries flow for the generate label webhook as well as the inquiry about the response time.

Would it be possible for us to get an example of the multiple requests and multiple tracking id’s that you sometimes get?

Thanks for your patience while we look into this, it is much appreciated!

Best,
RayanP

Hello @sh-agent, Any update on this, ShipHero is creating multiple shipments for the same package because of retires. This is causing lot of issue in operations & also communicating to the customers about actual tracking numbers. From our side our API is stateless, it only checks if item in Shopify has been fulfilled, it seems there is a lot of lag in updating Shopify state.

if possible, can you please update API response timeout to 20 seconds
that will solve our problem in the short term.

Hello @Ahmed!

Unfortunately, we can’t update that value in a customer-specific way.

Can you share one of those orders with multiple shipments so I can better address the issue?

Kind regards,
TomasFD